Monte Cristo Sandwiches with Roasted Red Peppers and Arugula
This Monte Cristo sandwich is jazzed up with roasted red peppers and paprika for a tasty variation of the classic one. Serve for breakfast, lunch or as a satisfying snack.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Yields|
|5 Mins||25 Mins||Serves 4|
- 8 P’tit Québec Very Mild White Cheddar Slices
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 8 slices day-old French bread (1/2-inch/1 cm thick slices)
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced jarred roasted red peppers, well drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) arugula
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt, pepper and paprika
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, divided
- Spread Dijon over 4 slices of bread; top each slice of bread with 1 cheese slice. Layer roasted red peppers, arugula and another cheese slice over top. Cap with remaining bread.
- In shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and paprika; set aside.
- Dip each sandwich in egg mixture until both slices of bread absorb the egg mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook 2 sandwiches for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown on each side and cheese melts. Wipe pan clean with paper towel. Repeat with remaining sandwiches and butter.
- To serve, slice each sandwich in half.