Roasted Garlic & Herb Mac and Cheese
This classic baked mac and cheese is jazzed up with sweet roasted garlic and a fresh mix of fines herbs.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Yields|
|30 min||1 h 15 min||4|
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
Mac and Cheese:
- 1 pkg (400 g) P’tit Quebec Old Cheddar Blocks, divided
- 1 lb (500 g) macaroni
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) 3.25% homogenized milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Roasted Garlic: Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C). Slice off tip from each head of garlic, just enough to reveal cloves. Drizzle with oil; wrap each head in double layer of foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until garlic is soft and tender.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze out garlic from cloves; set aside.
- Mac and Cheese: Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large high-sided skillet set over medium heat; cook onion for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle flour over top; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in half of the P’tit Quebec Cheddar until melted. Stir in roasted garlic and half of the chives, parsley and tarragon.
- Reduce oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Toss macaroni and reserved cooking liquid with sauce, tossing for 1 or 2 minutes or until well coated. Transfer to greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with remaining chives, parsley and tarragon.
- Serve with a crisp green salad.
- Substitute caramelized onions for roasted garlic if preferred.