Root Vegetable Gratin
Layered with a medley of root veggies, Four Cheese blend, chicken broth and milk, this lightened-up cheesy gratin yields delicious flavours in every bite.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Yields|
|20 Mins||55 Mins||Serves 6|
- 2 pkg (320 g each) P’tit Québec Four Cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 lb (500 g) celery root, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 3.25% homogenized milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each finely chopped fresh parsley and chives
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Grease 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish with 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil. Toss together sweet potatoes, celery root, carrots, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Arrange one-quarter of the root vegetable mixture in prepared baking dish. Layer one-quarter of the cheese over top. Repeat layers three more times.
- Whisk together flour with 1/4 cup (60 mL) broth until smooth; whisk in remaining broth and milk. Pour over casserole; press to distribute liquid evenly. Drizzle with remaining oil.
- Cover with foil; bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove foil; bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley and chives.
- Substitute 5% light cream for milk if desired.
- Substitute rosemary or savoury for thyme if desired.